Thursday, July 22, 2010

Marketers Aren't Like Normal People

Morgan Stewart had a great post yesterday on the MediaPost Email Insider blog (Don't Confuse Your Personal Experience with Good Strategy). The biggest takeaway for me was the reminder that, for any communication I create, I need to think about what my target customers want and how they will react, not how I would.


If you ever need a reminder that marketers don't necessarily think like the rest of the world, check out the fantastic site Which Test Won, a rapidly growing repository of A/B and multivariate tests. Each test is presented in a fun quiz format. I find that I do quite well guessing which test won, but every once in a while I get one wrong (judging from the vote results, I'm not the only one!). I highly encourage you to check out the site. Not only is it a great way to spend your lunch hour--it can also serve as a warning of why testing is so important.

No comments: